Can a landlord kick you out without prior 30 or 60 day notice. After a verbal Notice to move out can a lock you out..

Sacramento, CA |

My landlord had verbally told me move out and after 2 days she had locked me out. I had rented a room in her house and had lived there for 9 months. With no problems at all. Out of the blue she told me to move out by text message. without givin me written notice.

30-day Notice is required under Civil Code 1946.5. Locking you out is illegal. You can sue for damages.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

No. The landlord's actions are illegal. You can sue for damages, but at this point in time, you need to find a new place to live.

Your landlord is required to serve you with a 30-day notice (or 60 days if you have lived there for a year or longer). An oral notice is not proper. The code requires it to be in writng.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant