Can a landlord increase the rent if a minor is coming to stay with us and cannot enter contract?

Asked about 2 years ago - Azusa, CA

I gave advanced notice to the landlord about minor coming to live with us in emergency. She will be living for 1 year. Contract is month-to-month. We live in Azusa, CA. The contract states the 2 named renters and maximum occupancy is 4. Child (minor) would make that 3. LL wants to raise $200 additional rent for minor.

"The Premises shall not be occupied by more than the maximum number of "Agreement" occupants set out in Section J, unless required by law, nor by any person other than the Named Renter set out in Section K without the advance written consent of the Owner and at additional rent set out in Section L or prescribed by law. "

If a minor cannot enter a contract, can they raise the rent?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Raymond Daymude


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is fairly common for rental agreements to provide for additional rent if the unit is to be occupied by persons in addition to the named renters. I do not think the fact that a minor cannot enter into a contract has anything to do with it.

    The contract is between the two adult renters and the landlord. If the lease provision is enforceable and you want to continue to live in the unit, I think you need to obtain the Owner’s consent and pay for the extra person the sum set out in Section L.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers and information on Avvo assume California law. Answers and... more
  2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The fact that the new tenant is a minor has nothing to do with this.
    The dispute is between you and the landlord.
    If the lease allows up to four people, and there are four people or less, then the landlord is probably not allowed to increase the rent.
    To be sure, you should take the lease agreement any other documentation to an attorney for a consultation.
    You could also contact the rent control board, if any, for your city.
    There are also organizations that provide low or no cost help to people in your situation.
    You can also read up on your rights as a tenant at the Department of Consumer Affairs website:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,971 answers this week

3,017 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,971 answers this week

3,017 attorneys answering