Can a landlord in new apartment complex, charge me monthly for pest control?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I noticed my water bill (paid to complex) includes pest control. I thought this was landlords responsibility unless tenant created the pest problem. These apartments are not even 4 months old. I have no pest, so I am paying them for a service I bet I will never need.

1. David Adam Fettner

1

Answered . Nothing in Texas prohibits a landlord from including the cost of pest control in your lease. Check your lease and see if landlord is permitted to charge you for pest control. You might also check and see if there has been any pest control done. You should not be charged for things you did not receive. If you find that you have been charged for services not received or that your lease does not specifically mention charging for pest control, ask the landlord for an explanation.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . what does your lease agreement say on the matter? That is ALWAYS the first place to look when understanding landlord and tenant responsibilities.

3. Becky Pham Tran

Answered . Yes they can. You should refer to your lease.

Also, with respect to pest control, it is typically done as a preventive measure. You don't have to have pests in order to utilize these services. I have quarterly pest control treatment at my home starting from the day I moved in. I don't have pests and have every intention of keeping them out. If your apartment is new, it is better practice for them to have pest control service. Hope that helps.