CAN A LANDLORD EVICT ME IN WINTER MONTHS WHEN THERE IS A BABY THERE?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lewiston, ME

IT IS DEC AND VERY COLD IS AN LANDLORD ALLOWED TO EVICT IN WINTER WHEN THERE IS A BABY LIVING THERE

1. Inga L Stevens

Answered . I agree with the above post, and wanted to let you know that Pine Tree Legal has a terrific website with lots of great information about your rights as a tenant in Maine:
    http://www.ptla.org/library/589

Best of luck.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Yes.

However, eviction is a court process. LL cannot simply evict you--you have a right to be heard in court if you disagree with the landlord's reasons for eviction. If you have received a court document telling you to appear on a certain day and time in a specific court then the LL is using the appropriate process. If LL has simply told you that you are being evicted, that is not proper and you do not have to leave.

There are many issues which give LL's a reason to evict--the most common is failure to pay rent. There is nothing in the law limiting evictions to the summer months.

Recommend you use Google to find a local free legal services organization your area to discuss the matter with a landlord tenant attorney. Google 'Legal Aid in Maine'