Can a landlord evict a tenant for paying a water bill late which resulted in a lien on the propert in San Francisco

Asked almost 6 years ago - San Francisco, CA

can a landlord evict a tenant for paying a water bill late which resulted in a lien on the property? Specifically, in San Francisco?

1. Michael Robert Bracamontes

1

1

Answered . In San Francisco, where a unit is subject to the Rent Ordinance, a tenant can only be evicted for just cause. The answer to your question depends on whether you were responsible for paying the water bill under the lease (which is arguably a form of nonpayment of rent) and whether your tenancy is subject to the Rent Ordinance.

Disclaimer: You should discuss your situation with a local attorney, as the above statement is a general overview and does not take into account all of the factual considerations in your case. Nothing in this statement creates an attorney-client relationship.

2. Avvo Staff Moderator

Answered . Thanks for using Avvo. I am an Avvo Staff Moderator. To read more about our moderation team, follow the link below. Our current question volume may increase the response times of our loyal Avvo lawyer-answerers. My goal is to give you some preliminary information and guidance regarding your legal situation while you wait for an attorney in your area to respond.

http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/98101-wa-avvo-mod...

First and foremost you should refer to the terms in your rental agreement. If there is nothing in the language addressing the issue then it is resolved by state law. The California State Bar provides a wonderful public resource for tenants and I have posted the link; it should answer your question.You may also want to consult with an CA lawyer to get a definitive answer. You can find Bay Area lawyers on Avvo (some of whom offer free consultations), or use the local Lawyer Referral Service by accessing the link. If you cannot afford the referral service, there is also a link to a low income referral. Good luck.