Can a landlord enter a renter's premises without the renter present?

Asked over 4 years ago - Santa Rosa, CA

In this case, my friend has indicated to the landlord several repairs that have not been attended to even though previously indicated to the landlord. The landlord is attempting to lay responsibility for these repairs on my friend. The landlord set a date for inspection and potential repairs, but my friend will be training in D.C. for the several days around that time. I have several contractor friends who have agreed to be present at time of inspection, and my friend will have no way of knowing what the landlord does when she is not there.

1. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . Landlord is required to give reasonable notice of inspection and repairs. If your friend is not going to be present, but wants to be, she should schedule the inspection at a different time. If she wants repairs to be done ASAP and other people will be there to watch out for her interests I would let inspection and repairs go ahead, but video the whole thing.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.