Can a landlord deny rent to a sex offender legally?

Moreno Valley, CA |

There are many sex-offenders in this area. I was denied rental because I am a registered sex offender with my DNA is at the Long Beach Police Department. Some sex-offenders are mislabeled. Some should denote "no contest" pleading and should be consideration of a lower risk factors.

I have rented two times in Moreno Valley, once in Torrance, once on Goleta while I was deemed a sex-offender. There should be an exception to this rule. By the is it an illegal rule of is there no law to govern this area of law.

Yes a landlord can deny rent to a sex offender legally

What law gives the landlord the right to deny rent to a registered sex offender legally. If all landlord did this, reformed sex offenders would have to live in the streets. What about the Catholics sex offenders?

A landlord can discriminate against you for any reason, except an illegal one. There is no rule which prevents a landlord from discriminating against you because of your status of being a registered sex offender.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Yes.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Other landlord rent to registered sex offender in the same area. The law is for gay marriages, killing the unborn, and killing innocent people in foreign countries. THIS IS A VERY SICK WORLD.

Landlord-tenant topics