Can a landlord deny me a therapy dog?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Denver, CO

I am disabled and I want a dog and my doctor recommends that I get one again and that he will write something up for me.

I was told I cannot have a pet when I moved in to my apartment. However, I know a few people here have cats and one small dog.

I asked my landlord about this when I first moved in and they said that if I had moved in with the animal and had references, it would have been one thing, but another if I now want an animal.

I hope someone will answer this soon because there is a dog I want to rescue who is available on Oct. 8th and he would be perfect from what I have learned of him.

My doctor told me today that if there is a medical need (which he can certify), a landlord cannot deny me having a small dog. But does this work if I have already lived here without one?

1. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Answered . Regardless of how long you have lived in the apartment if you now need a therapy dog then your landlord cannot deny you one. Your landlord can, however, require an additional deposit and/or additional rent. You should speak with a local attorney who is familiar with landlord-tenant law for further guidance.