Can a landlord decide not to give receipts any longer?

Asked over 1 year ago - El Cajon, CA

My husband went to turn in our rent check today and the office told him they no longer give receipts. After nagging for a few minutes, the lady in the office printed a "receipt" and signed it.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Coy Driscoll


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A receipt is required to be given by law. California Civil Code section 1499 provides that: "A debtor [that's you] has a right to require from his creditor [that's the landlord] a written receipt for any property [that's the rent payment] delivered in performance of his obligation." Even if you pay by check or money order, getting a written receipt is a good idea because it shows when the payment was received by the landlord.
    As general rule, NEVER give anyone cash without them giving you a receipt in exchange for the cash. If the person says that they will give you the receipt later, tell them they can have the cash when they give you the receipt and not before.

    This is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is a... more
  2. Stuart Gregory Steingraber

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Any landlord who does not provide receipts, especially when cash is being paid, is a big red flag. Pay by check or money order and keep your proof of payment. If the LL does not give you a receipt, do not give any money. This is unbelievable and the practice should be reported to the owner of the building (unless it is the same person not giving receipts).

  3. Madhu Kalra

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Landlord is required to give receipt. If he refuses to give receipt either pay by money order, cashier's check , check or bill pay, so that you can provide proof of payment upon demand. Please make sure not to make cash payment. If the person authorize to make payment is the designated manager, make sure to report it to his supervisor.

    Madhu Kalra Kalra Law Firm 23720 Arlington Avenue, Ste 5 Torrance, Ca 90501 (310) 325-9012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,633 answers this week

3,111 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,633 answers this week

3,111 attorneys answering