Can a landlord charge tenants for water if there is only one meter and it's a duplex?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Waukesha, WI

I live in Wisconsin and someone told me it is illegal for a landlord to charge the tenants for water if there is more than one unit in the same building and there isn't a meter for each unit. I believe we have been paying too much for water because one unit had a leaky toilet that finally got replaced, but the landlord is not compensating us for the overage we paid. Also, after we moved she rolled her water bill into her taxes and so is not charging her tenants any longer.

1. R. S. Missimer

Answered . As the previous attorney stated, this is all in the lease.

But let me add it is far harder getting money back in these situations then fighting over whether it needs to be paid.

I generally pay what I believe I owe, and is fair, and then wait until I can prove otherwise before I pay the rest. This is a good procedure because court like people when they are trying to be reasonable, and are trying to cover their obligations. When you pay nothing, you appear more guilty. Just my two cents.

2. Philip M. Block

Answered . You need to read your lease and the statutes. They are what control.