Can a landlord change the locks on a property that was abandoned by the tenant and the tenant still is enforced to pay rent?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I left my living situation and moved all my things out. My roommate is still living there and has all his things in the house. I guess the landlord thought I might try and come in and steal stuff so they changed the locks. Now, I am refusing to pay my rent because, isn't this a form of eviction or something, if I can't get into a place I'm paying for? I just want to know that if my landlord takes us both to court that all the rent will fall on my roommate and not on me. I am no longer living there and moved out, and even though I signed the lease, I can't get in. Does my landlord have the right or obligation to change locks without notification for "safety reasons" for remaining tenants? Also, can I still bring up being locked out if my roommate takes me to small claims court?

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

1

Answered . You can bring it up, but it may not be a complete defense to your breach of the lease.

2. E Dwight Taylor

Answered . Whether the landlord can retake the property and still hold you liable for continuing rent depends upon your lease. Case law provides that if the the the landlord terminates a residential lease, then he has no right to continue to claim unpaid rents unless the lease allows him to do so. Even there, the landlord still has to mitigate his damages. If you r ex-roommate is still living there and paying the rent, then to claim future rents from you seems to be a double recovery. Good luck.