Can a landlord be liable if he rents to a tenant who has a dog/s that is a mixed breed with pit bull in Broward county, FL?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Miami, FL

We have a possible tenant that has 2 dog/s that are mixed bulldog with pit bull? Our concern is if that dog/s bites or mauls someone can the Landlord be liable for damages or be personally sued?

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

15

Answered . Yes. You can be liable. You need to contact your insurance carrier and then an attorney to make sure you are protected.

2. Marian Audrey Lindquist

12

Answered . Anybody can be sued. It is typical of dog bite cases that if someone is bitten by a dog they make a claim against the property owner. You can purchase insurance for these type of claims.

3. Joseph Torri

13

1

Answered . It is possible. There are cases that address this issue. You can also Google Florida dog bite landlord liability and see what comes up for your own edification. I would personally not rent to a tenant with these dogs. Talk to your insurance company and attorney to protect yourself prior to doing anything.

4. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

11

Answered . I agree with my colleagues - speak with your insurance agent and also have your lease reviewed by a local attorney. I just want to add that it doesn't matter what type of dog it is - anyone can sue anybody for anything, so you need to be sure you are protected.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.