Can a landlord be liable if he rents to a tenant who has a dog/s that is a mixed breed with pit bull in Broward county, FL?

Miami, FL |

We have a possible tenant that has 2 dog/s that are mixed bulldog with pit bull? Our concern is if that dog/s bites or mauls someone can the Landlord be liable for damages or be personally sued?

Yes. You can be liable. You need to contact your insurance carrier and then an attorney to make sure you are protected.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

It is possible. There are cases that address this issue. You can also Google Florida dog bite landlord liability and see what comes up for your own edification. I would personally not rent to a tenant with these dogs. Talk to your insurance company and attorney to protect yourself prior to doing anything.

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I will not appear in court simply by posting on this site. If you would like me to represent you, you must call my office, sign a written fee agreement and pay a legal fee, assuming I do not have a conflict of interest and you are in Southern California. If I respond to your question and you have follow up questions by posting on this site, I may or may not reply. This information should not be construed as legal advice. I am offering my opinion. Each person's case is unique, and that's why you should contact a lawyer over the phone for a consultation for your situation. That's why you should not rely on any response that an attorney posts on this site. I am licensed in California. I am not licensed in another state or country. I do not practice law outside of California.

Anybody can be sued. It is typical of dog bite cases that if someone is bitten by a dog they make a claim against the property owner. You can purchase insurance for these type of claims.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

I agree with my colleagues - speak with your insurance agent and also have your lease reviewed by a local attorney. I just want to add that it doesn't matter what type of dog it is - anyone can sue anybody for anything, so you need to be sure you are protected.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Animal law topics

Recommended articles about Animal law