Skip to main content

Can a landlord, without warning, verbal or written, add fences and gates (with padlocks) to a single family rental?

Santa Cruz, CA |

When we first moved in to this 3br/2ba home with a single car garage that the landlord was using, there was a standard wooden fence around a large grassy backyard. Attached to the house was large wooden deck between the garage & the house. In the last month the landlord has put up fences limiting us to just the deck area & a very small portion of the backyard. The fences are solid wood & about 8ft high, with no less than 9 gates all with padlocks. Now he put a fence up between the back of the house and garage cutting off the deck from our backyard portion, also with a gate & combo lock. He says it is for our safety! However, he built a large shed with bedrooms in the back and converted the garage to studio with kitchen & bath. Gas, electric and water all off our meter. Not returning calls.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    I see two options here. 1) A rent deduction for the loss of use of the backyard. 2) Reporting the conversion to local authorities.

    It sounds like an un-permitted conversion for which the city/county could force a take down. If the LL institutes eviction proceeding you can defend by proving it is a retaliatory eviction.

    I suggest exhausting all means of communication with the LL in an attempt to come to a compromise before getting the authorities involved.

    -Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

  2. Your have several options, including an action for forcible entry/forcible detainer. Your landlord has apparently set up illegal units on the land that is part of what you rented. You can also file a complaint with the local code enforcement authorities; doing is so is absolutely privileged. However, THREATENING to do so to get him to take down the barriers could be extortion, which is a felony. You should hire a tenants’ lawyer (not a local landlord lawyer) to represent you.

    This is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is a general statement of the law. Reviewing a case and giving legal advice to a client requires more information than can be exchanged in this format. If you need legal advice, contact an experienced tenants' attorney.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics