Can a L1B be converted to L1A? If so, what is the success rate and how to make you application strong so it isnt rejected?

Asked 4 months ago - San Francisco, CA

I am a Canadian Citizen (born Indian national) on an L1B from Canada to the US. My spouse (Indian citizen - born Indian national) who could get an L2 has a F1.

We would like to apply for a Green card and are wondering the best possible route? I have heard that L1A to a GC is much easier and faster. If that is the case, can I switch to an L1A (Given that I now must look for a managerial role in my company). Any advice will be of much help in talking to right attorney.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Generally speaking, and based on past experience, while someone on L1 B status can switch to L1 A., if qualifies. the chances of that the person obtaining a green card through EB-1(c) category are next to nil. A much better route would be to attempt to obtain a green card after having been first admitted into H1B status and have the employer file a PERM application for labor certification as soon as possible. Your place of birth, however, will come back and bite you when it comes to "priority date" for updating the green card, Fort there what will determine will be your country of birth, and not country of current nationality.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . No. Nothing can be converted to anything. It is not a currency world. Your employer can file for a change of status from L1B to L1A for you. For that, they should hire an immigration attorney and not rely on HR people who have no business practicing law, nor have the capability to do so.

3. Maria J. Marty

Answered . Switching to L-1A is definitely possible. EB1c maybe, you really should just consult with an attorney in San Francisco that does this all the time. Jackson & Hertogs, talk to Dan or Ilana, they could assess your case quickly and accurately.