Skip to main content

Can a juvenile probation officer discuss information relating to a juvenile client?

Toledo, OH |

My child's friend ran away a week ago . He was reported on a curfew violation of probation and ran because he didn't want to go back to JD . Obviously worst decision that could be made and I'm sure he realized this that night . They are convinced he is in my home and word is there was a search warrant granted Wed , but nothing served . He's not here so no worries on that . Police are stalking my entire family , his friends and have interrogated friends daily . I'd like to try to ask his PO if he would / could work out a deal like dropping runaway charge & those associated with it , to entice his return . I believe if everyone was not in fear of getting in trouble , he could be found . Question . . . could / would his PO have this discussion with me ?

Back to JDC.

Attorney Answers 2


Your question implies that you do have lines of communication open with this juvenile. You need to take care that you do nothing that could be construed as aiding and abetting his flight from justice, or you could find yourself on the receiving end of criminal charges. This boy needs to be convinced to turn himself in before he gets himself in even more trouble than he's already in.

Mark as helpful


Even if he could or would you do not have the authority to negotiate any deal. The longer this kid stays out the worse he is making it for himself and anyone that is assisting him in avoiding being picked up. If the kid shows up you need to tell him to turn himself in or call the police. You are putting yourself at risk if he does appear at your house and you do nothing. The child should contact an attorney who can work to turn him in and start working on getting a release for him. Only an attorney can do this.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
Beavercreek, Ohio
(937)510-6110 phone

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics