Can a juvenile be charged as a sex offender?

Asked over 4 years ago - Aiken, SC

My boyfriend was 14 and was charged wih sexual misconduct with a minor and had to regester as a sex offender. Went to juvenile court and was charged as juvenile. Till this day he is a registered sex offender( was 14 when charged and registered in south carolina).had no adult with him during questioning is the illegal or is it south carolina law? He cant live in my home that i own because its close to a church.He tryed joining the army and cant because of the juvenile charge 6 years ago. Is it right for a juvenile at the age of 14 to have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Is it right at all for him to have to register since it was a juvenile charge?

We need answers now !

1. Kimberly Keheley Frye

Pro

Answered . It is important to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in South Carolina. However, I can understand your frustration. The sex offender laws here in Ga are very tough. It creates tremendous hardships. Here in GA, certainly a 14 year old can be charged as an adult and be required to register. It may help for your boyfriend to contact an attorney and see if he may have any habeas corpus rights regarding his prior case. An attorney may be able to let you know if you have any chance at all. Don't just suffer without knowing.