Can a jury member post to Facebook or Twitter as long as they don't discuss the case?

Mesa, AZ |
Filed under: Internet law

On-going debate about how far the judge's admonishment order for a non-sequestered jury extends. We already know the obvious, no discussing the cases and no viewing any coverage of the case either through written or televised media.

Of course this pertains to a case that is IN THE PROCESS of being tried, NOT post trial where the jury has been released and the admonishment lifted. - Thank you.

Yes, they can use social media for matters completely unrelated to their case.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

2. The general answer is yes, as long as you don't mention the case or that you are on the jury.

The way you asked your question gave me pause; did the judge actually say not to use social media at all? If he said it, you should follow his instruction.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

Internet law topics