Can a judgement against my wife attach to my credit report?

Asked over 1 year ago - La Jolla, CA

My wife took out a loan prior to our marriage. Her Grandmother was a cosigner on the loan. Her Grandma passed away. Could a judgment against my wife affect and or attach to my credit?

1. Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

Answered . It is outside of my specific knowledge but I don't believe so. No court or credit agency can attach one person's wrong to another's credit history. However, there are many instances where the two of you may apply for a joint line of credit and in that instance, her bad credit may impact your ability to borrow.

good luck