Can a judge legally bastardize a child?

Asked about 1 year ago - Salem, OR

Can a judge legally bastardize a child, based on the biological father claiming he's not the father, without ordering a DNA test?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . "Bastardizing" isn't a thing, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

    If a child is born to a married woman, there is a legal presumption that her husband is the child's father. That presumption can be rebutted. It doesn't necessarily require DNA testing - for example, if there's evidence that the spouses hadn't seen each other in years, that might be enough.

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more
  2. Joanne Reisman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . We no longer make moral judgments and the word bastard isn't really used anymore. Finding out who the father is can involve applying the law and sometimes DNA tests. See an attorney so you can discuss the facts of the case completely and the attorney can then discuss the law with you as it applies to this situation.

    The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what... more
  3. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Sorry, but more information is needed to understand just what you are asking.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,509 answers this week

2,853 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,509 answers this week

2,853 attorneys answering