Skip to main content

Can a judge go into his chambers with two police officers while my wife was at her arraignment

Cortland, NY |

my wife and i was involved in an argument with a neighbor and my wife was arrested. two police officer was at my wife arraignment and the went into the judges chambers one at a time while my wife was standing in front of the court in homer ny the next day the cop came to my house and give me a disorderly conduct ticket

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Sounds very strange. You should hire an attorney to investigate.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


The Judge is not suppossed to engage in ex-parte communications. This sounds improper but weird things often go on in upstate Town courts.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


If you want to dispute the citation, hire an attorney.

That is very unusual - if any chambers conferences are held, both sides' attorneys should be present. Evidence against a defendant is supposed to be presented in open court. Chambers meetings sometimes happen when there is a special request by the defense, or things get really heated between the attorneys (and they are getting after each other in court), or when the judge wants to avoid a spectacle while negotiating a tense matter... none of which appear to be the case here.

Clark County, Nevada practitioner.


The Judge should hear all evidence in public in court. If the police officers were giving testimony regarding the incident to the judge in chambers and off the record that was inappropriate. You need to discuss this with a local attorney who is familiar with that particular court.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer