Can a judge go into his chambers with two police officers while my wife was at her arraignment

Asked over 1 year ago - Cortland, NY

my wife and i was involved in an argument with a neighbor and my wife was arrested. two police officer was at my wife arraignment and the went into the judges chambers one at a time while my wife was standing in front of the court in homer ny the next day the cop came to my house and give me a disorderly conduct ticket

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

Answered . The Judge is not suppossed to engage in ex-parte communications. This sounds improper but weird things often go on in upstate Town courts.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

4

Answered . Sounds very strange. You should hire an attorney to investigate.

3. Arkady Bukh

Pro

3

Answered . The Judge should hear all evidence in public in court. If the police officers were giving testimony regarding the incident to the judge in chambers and off the record that was inappropriate. You need to discuss this with a local attorney who is familiar with that particular court.

4. Ryan Alexander

Pro

3

Answered . If you want to dispute the citation, hire an attorney.

That is very unusual - if any chambers conferences are held, both sides' attorneys should be present. Evidence against a defendant is supposed to be presented in open court. Chambers meetings sometimes happen when there is a special request by the defense, or things get really heated between the attorneys (and they are getting after each other in court), or when the judge wants to avoid a spectacle while negotiating a tense matter... none of which appear to be the case here.

Clark County, Nevada practitioner.