Can a judge deny jury duty excuse if excuse is a law?

Pittsfield, IL |

I am a stay at home mom and IL is a family friendly jury state so the statute says that i can be excused from jury duty because i am primary caregiver to children under 12. I don't know if the judge will excuse me. Can he deny my excuse even with the statute? and if so what will happen if i bring my child with me to jury duty?

1. Yes, the judge may deny your request if he deems that you don't meet the requirements of the statute for "primary caregiver" and "undue hardship". 705 ILCS 305/10.2 (b).

You should examine your jury summons carefully for contact information. You may find it possible to obtain an excuse; in some counties a "free pass" or two is allowable--but you'd have to request it in sufficient time. There are counties where you make a call the night before to find out whether you will be required to report. You may also find out whether there is a child care service connected with the courthouse. If you are in Pike County, you may find answers to these questions from the Circuit Clerk 217-285-6612.

The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

2. Your jury notice should provide contact information. Make contact with the jury commissioner. Whatever you do, DO NOT bring children to jury duty!