Can a judge deny a workers comp settlement claim? How long does it take to get in court to see a judge for a workers comp settle

Ripley, TN |

How long does it take to get in court to see a judge to get an approval. The lawyer already has my settlement check. Can we see the judge the same day and get an approval?

In Tennessee, all workers' compensation case settlements must be approved by a judge or the Department of Labor. Ordinarily, it does not take a long time to get scheduled to see a judge for an approval. Most trial judges in Tennessee set aside time on their daily calendars to handle such things. It will just depend on the judge. Technically, once you get scheduled to appear before the judge, that appearance will be the time the court considers the settlement terms and will ask questions about the settlement to make sure it matches was the law allows. There are documents that have to be filed for the court to consider, but any attorney who routinely handles workers' compensation cases could develop those papers without much time. Before you seek approval, make sure that you are actually getting what the law provides for your case. Once approved, you do not have the ability to go back and change the settlement terms.

2. You should speak to your lawyer. He will be familiar with the workers comp commission schedule for your area. I hope you are doing better. Good luck.

The information provided should not be considered legal advice. I am not licensed to practice in any State other than SC. The results of your case will depend on the presentation of evidence, the law and other factors that may change depending on an in depth analysis of the facts of the case. Please see an attorney before making legal decisions.

3. Your lawyer is the best person to answer this question since they know the approval procedures.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.