Can a judge amend his sentence if the felon writes a letter with more case detail than his lawyer presented at sentencing?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mystic, CT

My brother signed a plea bargain for a max two year sentence for assault, and 2 counts of violation of a restraining order. My brothers attorney did NOT present all facts and pertinent details at the sentencing, and we believe a video shown had been "altered" by the plaintiffs side and NOBODY will give us this video that only the Judge could see during the sentencing hearing. If we hire a new attorney or write to the the Judge explaining what we believe has happened, as well as provide additional facts, can the Judge change/amend his sentencing (18 months instead of the 2 year plea bargain maximum)? Thank you so much...I don't know where else to turn, or if its even worth pursuing as he has already started his sentence last week. This is also a first offense for a 55 year old male.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brian S Karpe

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree, the short answer is yes, a modification can be requested. C.G.S. 53a-39 (a) provides that at any time during the period of a definite sentence of three years or less, the sentencing court or judge may, after hearing and for good cause shown, reduce the sentence, order the defendant discharged, or order the defendant discharged on probation or conditional discharge. Section (c) of that same statute states that a mandatory minimum sentence cannot be reduced in any manner.

    So, if your brother was convicted of a crime in which a mandatory minimum sentence was imposed, the court has no ability to modify the sentence. Other than that, the original sentencing judge has the statutory authority to modify the sentence. However, counsel is also correct, a modification is exceedingly rare.

    As for presenting evidence that the video was altered, I strongly recommend you first consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney before that claim is made. Without knowing more about what video and what alleged alteration, that kind of allegation can have some impacts that may not help your brother. This is particularly the case since you don't even know what is on the video (since the judge was the only one who saw the video).

    As for whether your brother's attorney did not present all of the facts, that is impossible to gauge with the information supplied. Sometimes there are good tactical and strategic reasons for presenting some facts but not other evidence.

    Brian S. Karpe, Esq. (860) 242-2221 Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no... more
  2. Tanya Marie Bachand

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sentences can be modified, but there is a procedure for requesting a hearing on it that really requires an attorney with sentence modification experience to navigate. The short answer is yes, it can be modified, however given the rate at which the DOC is letting prisoners out on early release in this state, it may not be worth it to you, since its a long shot anyway.

    This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Timothy A. Provis


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Dear ?,

    Writing letters to the judge is a waste of time. Your brother needs counsel with experience in sentence modification who can move to modify the sentence, assuming there are proper legal grounds for it and that the time limit has not expired. You can start looking for such counsel right here on Avvo.

    Yours sincerely,
    Tim Provis
    Cal. Bar No., 104800
    Wis. Bar No. 1020123
    Member: U.S. Supreme Court Bar

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Dennis James Dressler

How much do I tell my lawyer?

Start by telling your lawyer what you are charged with and when you are due to appear in court. From that point on I suggest that you let your lawyer ask you questions and you answer those... more

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,353 answers this week

2,979 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,353 answers this week

2,979 attorneys answering