Can a international student studying abroad be paid by a US company for freelance work?

Pittsburgh, PA |

I am an international student affiliated to two universities in USA and Portugal. I have finished by first semester in the USA and currently I am in Portugal. I have just received an offer to freelance for a US based company. Can I accept this? Can I be paid and money be deposited to my US bank account? How can I make this work?

I have a temporary resident card in Portugal.It is valid for a year. My home country is India

Two issues:

1. Do you have a work permit in Portugal?
2. Being paid in the US is not a good idea .. what is your home country?

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Need more information. You need to consult with an attorney who can address the specifics of your situation.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Hello there- I would recommend asking your US university if you qualify for any kind of internship/externship while in your first year, or if you can get a CPT to work. You should also ask the employer if they would be willing to sign up for an externship. Working in the first year is generally not permitted, but externships may be. Also, we file hardship waivers for foreign students to get work permits. This is based on individual circumstances and may or may not apply to your situation.

We may be contacted by scheduling a consultation through our website, ImmigrationDesk.com, calling us at 800-688-7892, or by emailing us at Info@ImmigrationDesk.com The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.

US immigration law governs employment while in the US. It has no applicability to employment abroad.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

The question has more to do with international tax. If you are a European resident you can work from Europe. My suggestion is to ask the US based company to pay for your service directly in Europe (if this is possible). In any case my recommendation is to consult with an international firm dealing with international tax issues. Best.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

International law topics