Can a insurance company pay up front for a rental car?

Ontario, CA |

I was involved in a hit and run accident about a month ago, i have been without a car for a month, the other drivers insurance said that they will on reimburse me for a rental not pay for it up front

1. Different insurance carriers have different policies. Some pay up front. Some reimburse. You are entitled to full rental costs and/or "loss of use" (daily damages even if you don't rent a car). Your other option is to put the rental through your own carrier if you have rental car coverage. If you were injured, you should retain an attorney to present your bodily injury claim and to assist you with the rental issues. http://bit.ly/10QNJ0A

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.

2. They can pay up front (direct pay) but they are not required to. If you have rental coverage on your policy use it. If you have full coverage I suggest you do not purchase the additional insurance offered by the rental company because it will not be reimbursed.

3. Generally, the insurance company will require that you pay upfront and will reimburse you after receiving the rental bill. However, you can ask the insurance adjuster to arrange a direct billing with the car rental agency; if the adjuster agrees you would not have to pay anything to obtain the rental. Be aware that there is no law that requires the other driver’s insurance company to pay your rental expenses or any other expenses in advance. Your rental should be a vehicle that is comparable to the vehicle that was damaged in the accident. Ask nicely and they might be agreeable to working with you; better yet hire an attorney to handle your case if you want results.

Attorney responses are PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DO NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. Such responses represent the attorney’s initial analysis based only upon the facts set forth in the question. Since the question may not include all of the facts or omit material facts or timelines which could affect the attorney’s conclusions, attorney responses should not be construed as legal advice for any particular set of facts but only as a preliminary opinion.

4. Every insurance company is different, but you shouldn't be concerned about getting a rental because you will be reimbursed. You need to hire an attorney ASAP! There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney. With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body and your property; and of course how high is the at fault person's policy. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled many of these cases and wouldn't mind speaking to you

Direct Line to Attorney: 877-427-2752 or Email: Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com; Website: www.KingofPi.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

5. Best bet is to retain one of the above lawyers in your state to resolve.