Can a husband with a criminal record file for AOS for her undocumented spouse?

Bronx, NY |

Hi I'm dating a US citizen and we plan on getting married. But he has revealed me that he was once arrested when he was young for gun possession. I don't know all the details but I am a bit concerned that his record can prevent him for helping me. We already found a sponsor.

Does the USCIS conduct a background on him too? What if they find out? Will he still be able to do the immigration interview and so…? Please I need advice

Thanks a lot.

His arrest should not affect your case.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

2. It should not be a problem especially if he was a juvenile .

3. His arrest should not be a problem when filing for you.

Ms. Weller's firm is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

4. USCIS will conduction a background check on him, and his criminal record could impact your case in two ways.

First, if he has any outstanding warrants, then there is always the possibility that USCIS could contact local law enforcement and arrange to have him arrested when he appears for the interview. So, make sure that any criminal issues have been fully resolved before you start the immigration paperwork.

Second, USCIS will screen for any convictions that fall under the Adam Walsh Act, which would prevent him from petitioning for you, with some extremely limited exceptions. If his arrest/conviction had nothing do with any type of criminal activity against a minor, then he should be fine.

Best of luck,

Mark
    Denver, CO

5. USCIS typically does not ask the Petitioner, in this case your husband, about their criminal past; however, they can. If they do ask him about his criminal past he should be truthful. Still, it should not affect your application. Your husband must attend the interview with you in order to prove to USCIS that your marriage is real and that you did not marry simply to obtain an immigration benefit.

Marriage and prenups topics