Can a hospital send additional bills for a visit that we were told was already paid in full -- $0.00 balance due?

Asked about 1 month ago - Weaverville, NC

Is this grounds for filing a complaint with the state of NC? Should we have asked for a paid in full letter? How can we be sure that more charges aren't forthcoming and how can prevent this from happening?

1. Kenneth Love Jr.

1

Answered . Its hard to answer any of these questions without more info. First, yes they can send you a bill. Who told you that the bill was paid in full? How did they explain to you that it was paid.

Sit down with the financial office at the hospital to get a handle on what all charges they claim. Then if not happy sit down with an attorney to review what you received to see if you may have any unfair debt collection claims.

2. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, hospitals frequently bill for THEIR services ans well as the services of related entities - i.e. the anesthesiologist, the surgeon, etc. Many of your providers are not hospital employees, but contractors to whom you have an independent obligation to pay. You may have been told one bill was paid in full, but be receiving other bills for other providers from the hospital. If not, just because you were mistakenly told a bill was paid in full does not mean that you can escape liability for it. If you did pay in full, however, you have no further liability.

/Christopher E. Ezold/