Can a hospital file a lien against us in an auto accident when the other driver was uninsured?

Glendale, AZ |

- We have med-pay coverage and un/underinsured coverage, the other driver had nothing.
- The other driver was 100% at fault.
- The accident was in AZ.
- Our health insurance has agreed to cover the bills and has sent payment, and we have to reimburse them out of the claim money we receive, if we receive anything.

1. In Texas a hospital can file a lien anytime it provides services from an incident that a third party may be responsible to pay. Doesn't matter whether insured or not. Suggest you contact an AZ personal injury lawyer to determine what affect the filing of a hospital lien has upon your right to recover med pay and or uninsured motorist coverage. Good luck, Jeff

I am only licensed in Texas. By providing my opinions and comments to questions on this site, I am not engaging in the unauthorized practice of law in any other jurisdiction. No attorney client relationship is being created by my responding to this question.

2. Short answer...yes. Find a local attorney and call for a free consultation.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Daniel Buttafuoco has been voted BEST LAWYER five years in a row and has represented clients all over the United States. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Daniel Buttafuoco strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. www.1800NowHurt.com

3. Yes, you are responsible for your own medical bills even though they may have been caused or engendered by the negligence of the adverse driver.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.