Skip to main content

Can a home owners association put a lien on my property that has been foreclosed

Tustin, CA |
Filed under: Lien

can an HOA that put a lien on a property that already foreclosed and reverted back to the bank still sue and collect?

lost job, stopped making payments on home and the HOA dues, tried to do a short sale but was unsuccessful and thus was forclosed on November 19, 2008, the HOA filed suit the day before 11/18 and is sueing for unpaid assessments, late fees, reasonable costs of collection and other charges lawfully asessed which they are saying is breach of covenant.....I guess my question is since I lost the house and I do not have any money how likley are they to win and can they attach my wages at my new job? Thank you

Attorney Answers 1


Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! That being said...

They cannot place a lien on the property, but they can sue you for the amount of money owed.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.

Mark as helpful

5 found this helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics