Can a HOA in a gated community prevent you from freely going to and from your home.

Asked about 2 years ago - Memphis, TN

Home is in a loan modification status with the mortgage holder. Curent HOA dues have not been paid. Community has an unattended gate (uses a clicker) and the home owner's clicker code has been canceled so access to his home is being denied.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Robert Miller

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I haven't heard of this one before. While you may be able to wait for other cars to open the gate then follow in, that is unsatisfactory. I would start by asking them nicely (verbally and in writing) to replace the clicker or give you the new code. There may be a mediation process in place which should be considered and may even be required in your jurisdiction or in your CC&R's. If you're really mad (and I would be), and have extra money to spend, a civil lawsuit for an injunction, false imprisonment, breach of contract, etc., all may be possible, seeking a temporary restraining order to gain immediate access.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,807 answers this week

2,808 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,807 answers this week

2,808 attorneys answering