Can a H1 visa holder extend his/her or visa with out the H1 stamping on passport

Asked over 1 year ago - Danville, CA

I came to USA on L1 visa. I have moved to H1 visa . But I got the visa for only one year. I did not go to India and so there is no H1 stamping on my passport. Can I extend my H1 visa with out the H1 stamping on passport or should I go to Canada for H1 stamping and get it done

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Samira Recob

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You can extend your H-1B status as long as you still have time left on that status. You don't need the visa stamp for the H-1B extension, the visa stamp is needed when you travel and re-enter the US. As long as you have the I-94s to show valid H-1B status you are fine.

  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Visa no, status, yes.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. David Eli Larson


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Recob, but I recommend that you meet with an immigration lawyer to go over your situation in detail. Your consultation with an immigration lawyer will not only help you understand the answer to your question, but will give you guidance on what immigration options are open for your future.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,192 answers this week

3,435 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,192 answers this week

3,435 attorneys answering