Can a H1 visa holder extend his/her or visa with out the H1 stamping on passport

Asked 12 months ago - Danville, CA

Hi,
I came to USA on L1 visa. I have moved to H1 visa . But I got the visa for only one year. I did not go to India and so there is no H1 stamping on my passport. Can I extend my H1 visa with out the H1 stamping on passport or should I go to Canada for H1 stamping and get it done

1. Samira Recob

3

Best Answer

Answered . You can extend your H-1B status as long as you still have time left on that status. You don't need the visa stamp for the H-1B extension, the visa stamp is needed when you travel and re-enter the US. As long as you have the I-94s to show valid H-1B status you are fine.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Visa no, status, yes.

3. David Eli Larson

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Ms. Recob, but I recommend that you meet with an immigration lawyer to go over your situation in detail. Your consultation with an immigration lawyer will not only help you understand the answer to your question, but will give you guidance on what immigration options are open for your future.