Can a guardian of estate hire an attorney on behalf/for the benefit of the ward? Please Wisconsin only.

Asked over 1 year ago - Park Falls, WI

Can a guardian of estate hire an attorney on behalf/for the benefit of the ward?

Can I, the GoE for the ward, enter into a contract with an attorney to represent the ward? I never received anything from the court about what I can and cannot do so I don't know.

1. Daniel J. Krause

1

Answered . Look at the Order for Guardianship. The answer is "yes" if the judge did not prohibit the hiring of an attorney.

2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

1

Answered . Yes, unless the appointment order (Letters of Guardianship) remove this power. However, if there is not money in the estate to pay for an attorney, you may be on the hook personally.