Skip to main content

Can a Greencard holder's wife travel on a student visa

Los Angeles, CA |

My Sister has got married to a Greencard holder and he is yet to file for her I-130. Can she travel to the USA on a student visa if she is selected for some course there? If yes, what are her chances of getting the student visa? During the time she is in the USA on student visa, can her husband file her I-130?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    She should not travel because she clearly has immigrant intent and may be refused admission to the U.S.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. F1applicants are not suppose to have immigrant intent. As she is married to a permanent resident the consular officer will presume immigrant intent in all probability. If she makes honest declarations in regards to being married to a permanent resident on all forms and in response to any questions asked by consular officer/ customs border patrol officer and is still issued a f1 and permitted to enter the u.s her husband can of course file an I-130 for her while she is here in f1 status. But it is highly unlikely that she will permitted to come on an f1

  3. Yes she can of issued one. She will not be because it is her burden to prove absence of an immigrant intent which she will be having hard time doing.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics