Can a green card holder live out of the country more than 6 months a year?

Hollis Center, ME |

I am a US citizen. I married a foreign woman who works in another country. She has no problem to have a green card. However, she wants both of us to be able to go back her motherland time to time, and stays there more than half a year. Is there any way she can do this?

Yes, by applying for a reentry permit which will enable her to remain outside the US for up to two years.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

For a while yes. She has to get a reentry permit before she leaves. See an immigration attorney. This is one of the most common and most costly mistakes I see I'm my practice. Good on you thinking ahead.

Using this service does not create an attorney/client relationship and the information posted here is not confidential or privileged legal advice. The answers given here are for general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice.

Yes if he or she plans on putting off becoming a citizen for a long long time.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Recommended articles about Immigration