Can a green card holder live out of the country more than 6 months a year?

Asked about 1 year ago - Hollis Center, ME

I am a US citizen. I married a foreign woman who works in another country. She has no problem to have a green card. However, she wants both of us to be able to go back her motherland time to time, and stays there more than half a year. Is there any way she can do this?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes if he or she plans on putting off becoming a citizen for a long long time.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, by applying for a reentry permit which will enable her to remain outside the US for up to two years.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Randall Drew

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . For a while yes. She has to get a reentry permit before she leaves. See an immigration attorney. This is one of the most common and most costly mistakes I see I'm my practice. Good on you thinking ahead.

    Using this service does not create an attorney/client relationship and the information posted here is not... more

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,312 answers this week

3,142 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,312 answers this week

3,142 attorneys answering