Skip to main content

Can a grandparent sue a non custodial parent for visitation

Syracuse, NY |

My ex husband and I have joint custody of our twin sons with him as primary residence. I told my father that he can no longer see my sons on my time since he has disowned me as a daughter. I did tell him that he could see them once a month.He told me that he ws going to take me to court. Can he sue me for visitation if I am the non custodial parent?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Grandparents have little standing to seek visitation absent specific circumstances.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

  2. A grandparent can commence a proceeding for visitation in the Family Court, by filing a petition that will be addressed to both parents. The grandparent will have to demonstrate that he has 'standing', which will mean proving that he has an existing relationship with the grandchildren, and that it would be beneficial to have that relationship continue.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics