Skip to main content

Can a grand aunt have rites to a baby

Jamestown, NY |

i have never seen my dads sister until i moved to new york and thats when she took my child i havent known my dad or his side of the family since i was 18

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Usually only parents can have custody of a child under 18 unless the child is given up for adoption. not sure what you're asking here.

    This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

  2. Typically this relative (your aunt, your child's great aunt) can't just 'take' your child no matter what state you are in. If you want your child back and she will not give you the child, you have a host of remedies, such as filing a kidnapping charge.

    Depending on exactly what you want, you may wish to seek legal counsel. Because there is a child I would not hesitate in seeking legal counsel.

    I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.

  3. If your great aunt took your child without a custody order, call the police immediately. If for some reason she was able to obtain a custody order, see a family law attorney to determine the best way to regain custody of your child.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics