Can a girl in Texas leave her home if she is at least 17 years of age, move in with family and not have to go back?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Waco, TX

I am 17, my father is making my life a living hell, i cant do anything without him jumping down my throat, I want away.

1. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . If you leave at 17 and your father reports you as a runaway, then when you are caught they will bring you back home. Worse, anyone who helps you can be charged with harboring a runaway. You need to ride it out until 18, avoiding your father as much as possible.

2. Jordan E. Watson

Answered . Technically, no, he could report you as a runaway, and the police might bring you back. You are under your parents' control until you turn 18.

You can petition the court to emancipate you, if you can show that you are self sufficient. You may want to talk to a lawyer about this, or have the family you want to move in with talk to a lawyer for you.

3. Cynthia Russell Henley