Can a genealogy test get you citizenship if it finds old relatives?

Asked 9 months ago - Denver, CO

i.e. it finds you are related to someone who came to the US 100 years ago however you are currently a GB citizen. is it enough evidence to prove pass down of citizenship?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Perhaps. The following legal guide may answer some of your questions.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No ... 100 years is too many generations 'back'.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Being related (distantly or not) to someone who is (or was) a U.S. Citizen does not give you citizenship.

    You can reach Colorado Legal Solutions by phone or email. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state... more
  4. Theodore John Murphy


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No this is not acceptable evidence to prove US citizenship. There are many requirements to prove citizenship in the US. Look at the USCIS website.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more
  5. L. Vincent Ramunno

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . you can ask a local immigration lawyer, but your concept, with 100 years back, sees]ms long

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,750 answers this week

2,444 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,750 answers this week

2,444 attorneys answering