Skip to main content

Can a GC holder (from EU) work abroad as a freelancer without filing for an I-131?

Brooklyn, NY |

Hello, I am a Green Card holder from EU and I intend to work as a freelancer internationally with my husband (US citizen). However, our intent isn't to abandon USA. We want to gain work experience abroad and take the skills back home. This means we would be away depending on the length of each project. Weeks/Months... Do I still need to file for an I-131? Thank you.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. If a permanent resident needs to be out of the US for over six months, a reentry permit is strongly encouraged.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics