Can a gay marriage get green card in California? I am F1 student, studying in Texas now and my bf living in Cali now.

Asked about 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

We are planning to get married in Cali so he can petition a green card for me following the ruling DOMA of Supreme court. My question is if we getting marriage then i need to move to Cali to live or i can go back to TX to finish my bachelor degree while he living in CA, or we have to live together. ( if so, can we live in another state like Hawaii or Texas). Could you please let me know about that? Thanks in advance for your valuable time.

1. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, the Federal Government will recognize the California marriage for green card purposes. The interview will be in California, so be prepared to travel back when it is scheduled. You can be in Texas and living apart. There is much precedent that allows for your situation.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

Answered . Yes, you can file after you marry in California.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Yes