Can a foreign national get permanent residency without a green card. She will be retired and has no desire to work in the US.

Asked over 1 year ago - Naperville, IL

She will be a retired university professor with independent means. She already owns a home in the US.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Dana Roxana Bucin

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally you need either an employment or family relationship (or an active investment) to be able to reside in the US. Just coming is as a retired person, property owner or not, does not give someone a right to residency. If this person has the means, she may want to look into investment-based visas. I recommend consulting an attorney about more specific immigration options for her.

    This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide,... more
  2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Permanent Residency IS a Green Card. One cannot have one without the other - they are the same.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  3. Dhenu Mitesh Savla


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Another name for a green card is a permanent resident card. It is for permanent residence-not just for working.

    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,501 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,501 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering