Can a foreign national get permanent residency without a green card. She will be retired and has no desire to work in the US.

Naperville, IL |

She will be a retired university professor with independent means. She already owns a home in the US.

Generally you need either an employment or family relationship (or an active investment) to be able to reside in the US. Just coming is as a retired person, property owner or not, does not give someone a right to residency. If this person has the means, she may want to look into investment-based visas. I recommend consulting an attorney about more specific immigration options for her.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

Permanent Residency IS a Green Card. One cannot have one without the other - they are the same.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Another name for a green card is a permanent resident card. It is for permanent residence-not just for working.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC
www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.