Can a forcible entry & detainer lawsuit in Illinois be used by HOA a to get possession for condo fees discharged in bankruptcy?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Chicago, IL

A demand for payment from unit owners for those condominium fees that were already discharged was not made prior to filing of complaint. Isn't that a condition precedent to any forcible action?

1. Mara Ann Baltabols

Pro

1

Answered . If they are for the collection of fees due after your discharge, and you remain on title to the property, then yes. However, the HOA cannot collect fees that accrued pre-discharge. So if the action is for pre-discharge fees, then it is invalid.

2. James Patrick Kelly

Answered . A homeowners association can collect post petition dues, fees and fines. I would recommend that you contact an attorney to represent you in court.

3. Nicholas I Fuerst

Answered . They should not be trying to collect prepetition HOA fees. Any fees since you filed bankruptcy, they can sue you for.