Can a first conviction of DWI be introduced into trial for a second DWI in texas?

Asked over 1 year ago - Canyon Lake, TX

What it the arresting officer in the 2nd DWI charge asks on recorded video if you've had a prior DWI and you admit yes, and it's recorded on video?

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

14

1

Best Answer

Answered . The defense attorney files a motion in limine to keep that portion of the video out. It will be granted. Then the prior only comes in if the defense opens the door to it.

2. Cynthia Russell Henley

11

1

Answered . If the door to let in the prior is not opened (for example by the accused saying, "I've never been through this kind of thing" or his/her mom says, "Little Johnny would never do something like this".......), then it is not admissible. The lawyer for the accused will have prepared an objection and have a copy of the edited version ready to substitute when the prosecutor offers the damning information.

Cynthia Henley
    713-222-1220

3. Bradford Ryan Kvinta

10

Answered . Generally, the fact that you were convicted of a previous DWI is inadmissible at trial. However, as my colleagues have stated, there are instances where the prior conviction could come be brought up.

4. Frank Mascagni III

11

1

Answered . I assume you have retained a criminal defense attorney in your area to defend you. If not, do so ASAP. Your attorney will review the video evidence pretrial, make a motion to excise/redact that portion or get a judicial ruling to exclude that portion if shown to the jury in trial.

Your prior record is generally not admissible in trial unless you are charged under your state law as a status offender ( DUI-Second) and if so your attorney will make a motion to bifurcate the trial; another exception is if you take the stand and deny any prior conviction for DUI, then the judge will allow the prosecutor to impeach you with your prior record. Your defense attorney will explain all of this to you.

5. David Daniel White

Pro

9

Answered . Also be aware that if convicted, the information will be able upon sentencing.

Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande St.
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737

6. Richard Timothy Jones

6

Answered . Prior misdemeanor convictions are not generally admissible in the guilt innocence phase of a trial. In the punishment phase pretty much anything is fair game.

Www.Austincriminaldefenseattorney.Com
    512-495-1813
    Austin Jail Release and DWI Lawyer