Can a finalized default divorce be reopened in San Antonio, TX.

Once the court has finalized your divorce on a default, due to defendent not responding, can it be reopened with a motion?

San Antonio, TX -

Dana Joseph Stewart

Dana Joseph Stewart

Family Law Attorney

Yes, it is possible for the party that defaulted to "reopen" the case. This can happen by filing a motion for new trial, an appeal or even a bill of review. I realize those terms probably don't mean much to you, but the point is - there are ways to "reopen" the case.

The iems mentioned above have different time constraints on when they must be filed. For example, a motion for new trial must be filed within 30 days after the judgment was signed. I cannot tell from your question whether you are the party that defaulted. If you are, then I advise you to immediately contact an attorney as the clock is ticking. Best of luck.

Christopher Jay Harding

Christopher Jay Harding

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Dallas, TX

As long as requested within 30 days of the order being signed, or a longer period of time under some very specific circumstances. This has to be reopened in the same court that it was closed in.

Edgardo Rafael Baez

Edgardo Rafael Baez

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - San Antonio, TX

Under certain conditions the answer is yes, you have to act fast if you are the party seeking the action.