Skip to main content

Can a Filipino/Canadian citizen(dual) be sponsored to come to the US on a IR-1/CR-1 visa?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am a US citizen married to a filipina citizen. She is working as a RN in Canada. She has lived and worked in Canada for 7 years. She is applying for her Canadian citizenship. She wants to be a dual citizen of Canada and the Philippines.

However, we want to live in the US. Can I sponsor her with a spouse visa IR-1/CR-1? Can she stay lawfully as a permanent resident? Will she have to give up one of her two citizenships?

What is the best course of action so we can both live and work in the USA?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Hello Sir I hope you are well.
I have handled many similar cases. First, note that by becoming a permanent resident of the United States, one does not have to renounce any citizenships. But if your wife applies for citizenship here, then the oath requires her to renounce all other citizenships. To discuss this issue further please feel free to ask further questions.
Second, since your wife has residency in Canada, the US embassy can take jurisdiction for her immigrant visa application and she does not have to apply in Manila. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Regards


A US Citizen may sponsor their spouse to come to the US as a Permanent Resident using form I-130. Other forms may be required depending on whether she is inside the U.S. or abroad at the time of filing. You should contact an immigration attorney in your area to discuss your options

This message is intended as general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested to speak with me directly, please contact me at 604-671-7600.


CR-1 .. if married less than 2 years at the time of approval ... yes
IR-1 ... if married more than 2 years at the time of approval ... yes

Best course of action ... hire a US-licensed immigration attorney ... many of us use Skype.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer