Skip to main content

Can a felony class 2 drug charge be reduced to a misdemeanor in illinois

Homewood, IL |

this is my first ever offense i have no prior criminal background

Attorney Answers 6

  1. The answer is yes, but it is solely at the discretion of the prosecutor. Hire a defense lawyer to advocate on your behalf.

    John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

  2. Yes it can, but it depends on many circumstances.

    Every case varies depending on the law and the facts. Because questions often fail to disclose important facts, these 'answers' cannot and should not be relied upon as a replacement for a full or complete review of an actual case by a retained attorney. It is axiomatic that one only 'gets what they pay for', and this is one of those situations where such a phrase generally applies.

  3. While this is possible, there is no way to answer whether it will happen in your case. You need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney for the best outcome.

  4. Yes, but the decision whether to reduce or not lies with the prosecutor. You should definitely have an attorney on this serious charge.

  5. Yes, but i would try to get drug school. Four classes and then the case is dismissed. Its important to keep your record clean.

  6. The state's attorney has complete discretion to reduce or even dismiss a charge if they deem it warranted, but it won't happen just because you have no priors. Nor do you currently qualify for the state's attorney's drug school program. You need an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you; most of us provide free consultations. If you demonstrate to the court that you cannot afford one, the court will appoint the PD.