Can a felony be expunged, sealed, or do I have to get a pardon?

Asked over 3 years ago - Carrollton, TX

I got in trouble with the law when I was 17yrs old(less than 1 month after turning 17yr) - that was in 1992. The case was for burglary of habitation with intent to commit theft.
I received probation(deferred adjudication). My probation ended up being revoked, and I was given 8yrs TDC.

I got out in 1997 - I have finished my Parole and pretty much stayed out of trouble since. Can I get my record expunged? Can it be sealed? Do I have to apply for a Pardon? I'm 35yrs old now and this is still haunting me...

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Graham Thayer Williamson II

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you cannot get a conviction off of your record. The only way to get the conviction off your record is to be pardoned by the govenor. Good luck trying to get a pardon for Rick Perry!

  2. John Walter Robinson

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Go the the website, Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles. It explains the process of requesting a pardon. I've had some clients get pardons and then an expunction. One even had an assault pardoned.

  3. Cynthia Russell Henley

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . At this time and in the position of your case, you cannot get an expunction nor nondisclosure. It is VERY difficult to get a pardon, particularly under the current regime. However, you may be able to get a pardone and it because of your age at the time you got into trouble, it sounds like you are likely as anyone to get one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,130 answers this week

3,084 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,130 answers this week

3,084 attorneys answering