Skip to main content

Can a felony case be dismissedif you were arrested but not read your maranda rights

Colorado Springs, CO |

Don't want to get a felony if possible chance of them wrong doing

Attorney Answers 3


You can be arrested without being read Miranda rights. Miranda is not triggered unless you are subjected to custodial interrogation.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in a free consultation with Mr. Bryans, call The Bryans Law Office at (303) 832-2930.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


While the lack of a Miranda advisement MAY present a problem for the prosecution's case, it is rarely such a major problem that it results in a complete dismissal of the charges.

Your best bet is to contact a criminal defense attorney in El Paso County to discuss the specific facts of your case. If you are contacted again by law enforcement, DO NOT say anything to them and insist on a lawyer being present.

Best of luck to you.

John Buckley

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


As Mr. Bryans states. you only have to be read your Miranda rights unless you are being interrogated in a custodial situation. In such a situation, if they do not advise you of your rights, then any confession would be thrown out.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree

1 comment

Clifton L Black

Clifton L Black


If the police fail to read you your miranda rights during an in-custody interrogation then those statements and evidence obtained as a sole result of those statements can be supressed - thrown out. But other evidence and voluntary or out of custody statements can still be used against you.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics