Can a felon posses an antique 6 shot double action revolver with the antique live rounds for self defense?

Is that legal?

The revolver was manufactured before 1899 and the ammo is a live antique ammo.

1. I wouldn't keep it if I were you. Felon in possession of a firearm is a charge with serious consequences and you could be charged under that statute.

2. No, at least not in California. Federal law does not consider antique guns to be "firearms" of the kind that cannot be possessed by felons, but California does. That being said, the felon should have an attorney look into whether their conviction is eligible to be reduced to a misdemeanor, which may allow them to possess firearms (assuming the misdemeanor does not also have a firearm restriction, e.g., domestic violence). If the felon was sentenced to prison, then they are out of luck. If not, there is a chance to restore their rights, if the conviction was a "wobbler" --- a crime that could have been charged as either a felony or misdemeanor. If the conviction cannot be reduced, the felon is barred for life and should not be anywhere near firearms (antique or otherwise) or ammunition under any circumstances (no hunting, target shooting, nothing).

Michel & Associates, PC
    Firearms Attorneys
    (562) 216-4444

All my comments here are intended for general legal purposes. None of my comments here establish an attorney-client relationship with anyone. None of my comments should be relied on in taking legal action without first consulting an attorney.

3. No, a felony cannot possess any firearm in California. This includes relics (antiques).

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

4. Better to be safe than sorry, keep the gun away from your possession