Can a felon in nc own a air rifle? like a pcp 45 cal. ? i just want to shoot targets in the yard,and hunt.

Asked about 2 years ago - Elizabeth City, NC

when i was a teenager i was charged with non-violent simple cocaine possesion in 2001 (30 dollars worth),was released from prison in august 2002, back then i was allowed to own firearms,then in 2004 they took that from me. i am now in my 30's, and stay out of trouble. all i want to do is shoot targets in the yard( nc has BIG yards) and do a little hunting with my nephews. but i do NOT want to break any laws of any kind,so instead of trying to own a firearm, maybe i can just have a big pellet gun?

1. Kurt Robert Willems

Answered . It does not appear that an air rifle, BB gun, or pellet gun is considered a firearm when determining whether a felon can possess one or not. Please see the links to the statute and a UNC School of Government blog article supporting this interpretation. Beware the risk though. You never know if a police officer would charge you that way, even if mistaken in the law.

For informational purposes only. This comment is not intended to be legal advice.
  2. Anthony James Cuticchia Jr.

Answered . Keep in mind there may be laws about hunting animals with that kind of gun, should you decide to take it hunting.